Video: A brief explanation of BWC's Other States Coverage
Do you send employees outside Ohio to work? Do you wonder if you have adequate workers' compensation coverage for them? If so, you may want to look into BWC's Other States
Coverage option. This optional policy:
- Prevents workers' comp coverage gaps;
- Protects you from penalties and stop-work orders in other states;
- Provides peace of mind for you and your workers at an affordable rate.
BWC is working with United States Insurance Services and Zurich Insurance to offer this optional coverage to employers who may face financial exposure while working outside the
state of Ohio.
How it works
- Ohio employers apply directly to BWC using the ACORD 130 application, an insurance industry standard form. Employers can work with their insurance agent to complete this form or
request it directly from the Other States Coverage unit via email at BWCotherstatescoverage@bwc.state.oh.us, or by
calling 614-728-0535. Below you'll find a link to help walk you through completing the ACORD 130.
- BWC will determine eligibility and the premium cost for this coverage.
- Zurich Insurance will handle all claims filed for benefits under the laws of jurisdictions outside Ohio under this program.
Basic eligibility requirements
Below are the initial guidelines BWC uses to determine if an employer is eligible for Other States Coverage. The employer must:
- Have active coverage with BWC;
- Have coverage lapses that do not exceed 40 cumulative days in the last 12 months;
- No past due balances;
- Report two-thirds of total payroll in Ohio for all related business operations;
- Have demonstrated consistent business performance and a commitment to workplace safety.
Reporting Workers' Compensation Claims to Zurich
Please send questions via email to BWCotherstatescoverage@bwc.state.oh.us, or call 614-728-0535.
Other States Coverage - Agents' Frequently Asked Questions
Other States Coverage - Application Services Fee for Agents
BWC's Other States Coverage - Audits - What to expect
Other States Coverage - Auto Dealers
FAQs - Ohio's Extraterritorial Coverage
Employer eligibility criteria
How to complete the ACORD 130 form
Trucking Payroll Allocation Procedures
Other States Coverage - Trucking Supplemental Application (U-159)
Fall Protection in Construction Supplemental Questions (U-160)
Reciprocal Exemption Statutes