BWC provides this website as a service to customers, stakeholders and the general public. We
recognizes the importance of privacy. This page describes how BWC collects, handles and shares private data.
Public records notice
Visitors to this site should be aware that, subject to certain statutory exceptions, most documents and
records maintained by BWC, including but not limited to electronic data, are public records under Ohio law.
Therefore, information you submit through this website may be subject to disclosure pursuant to a public
Types of information collected/How information is collected
As a part of our mission, BWC routinely collects information related to the provision of workers'
compensation insurance, including:
We receive this information through a variety of media, including this website.
- Workers' compensation policies;
- Ohio employers;
- Workers' compensation claims;
- Injured workers;
- Medical treatments;
- Medical providers and bill processors;
- Safety services;
- Representatives or third party administrators associated with a claim or policy.
Users who create e-accounts on this website must provide information necessary to validate their identity and
establish an e-account. This information is also used to customize the online experience by presenting notifications
and services relevant to the user's role. Creation of an e-account is entirely voluntary and is not required to
obtain coverage or file a claim.
We gather usage statistics for every visit to our website. This information may be used to enhance offerings,
identify customer preferences, diagnose potential service issues or detect fraudulent activity. BWC's website
employs temporary cookies to manage multi-page transactions and, in aggregate, to understand user movement
through the site. We retain and destroy data in accordance with established agency records retention policies.
How information is used
BWC uses the information described above to perform its statutory functions, including:
Information may be shared with other public or private entities for any of the following purposes:
- Establishment and maintenance of coverage;
- Rate calculation;
- Premium assessment and payment processing;
- Claims adjudication;
- Payment of compensation;
- Provision for medical treatment;
- Safety programs;
- Investigation of potential fraud;
- Development and refinement of BWC programs and services;
- Identification, diagnosis and repair of computer, application, or network problems.
As stated above, many documents and records that BWC maintains are considered public records under Ohio law and
may be subject to disclosure pursuant to a public records request.
- Notifications to all parties to a claim;
- Administration of claims by approved managed care organizations;
- Authorized release to designated representatives or third party administrators associated
with a claim or policy;
- Administrative or judicial hearings;
- Verification of coverage for the provision of medical services;
- Actuarial analysis;
- Identification and prosecution of fraud or other improper activities;
- Coordination of benefits;
- Delivery of BWC services through the State of Ohio portal.
BWC adheres to Ohio laws that require the establishment of reasonable precautions to protect personal information
against unauthorized modification, destruction, use or disclosure. Preserving the integrity of information, systems
and services is a fundamental responsibility that BWC takes very seriously.
BWC's website is designed to allow claim information to be accessed only by individuals who are authorized parties
to a specific claim. Similarly, only employers and their designated representatives may access their policy records
through the website.
BWC has implemented a series of security measures designed to safeguard critical transmissions, Web transactions,
applications, databases, networks, services and systems. Information collected through these security measures may
be used in connection with a criminal prosecution or other legal proceedings.
Inspection and dispute of personal information
Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code, sections 149.43, 1347.08 and 1347.09, users have rights to information given to
this site, in respect to inspecting, correcting and disputing. This is applicable to any information collected,
used or maintained on this website.
If you have any questions concerning this privacy statement, send them to:
Attn: Legal Division
30 W. Spring St.
Columbus, OH 43215