Safety and health professionals delivering world-class safety and health
consultation to small business employers - taking them beyond OSHA compliance,
reductions in injuries and illnesses - and a safe and healthful working environment
In Ohio employers participate in OSHA's Safety and Health Achievement Recognition
Program (SHARP). This program is designed to provide incentives and support to
smaller, high-hazard employers to develop, implement and continuously improve
effective safety and health programs at their work site(s). SHARP provides for
recognition of employers who have demonstrated exemplary achievements in workplace
safety and health. For more information about SHARP, please
visit OSHA's Web site.
See local businesses with the SHARP distinction
Consultation is voluntary; therefore, you must request it. Call, mail or fill out
and submit the request for service form on this Web site. The consultant will discuss
your specific needs with you and set up a visit based on the priority assigned to your
request, your work schedule and the time needed for the consultant to prepare
adequately to serve you. OSHA On-Site Consultation encourages a complete review of you firm's safety
and health policies and procedures; however, if you wish you may limit the visit to one or
more areas of concern.
When the consultant arrives at your work site for the scheduled visit, he or she
They will not:
- Meet with you in an opening conference to briefly review the
consultant's role and the obligation you incur as an employer;
- Survey your entire workplace or the specific operations you designate
and discuss the applicable OSHA standards;
- Conduct a walk-through inspection;
- Suggest general approaches or options for solving a safety or health
- Identify types of help available if you need further assistance;
- Conduct a closing conference;
- Provide you with a written report summarizing findings;
- Assist you to develop or maintain an effective safety and health program;
- Provide training and education for you and your employees.
Ultimately the consultation will provide employers with:
- Issue citations or propose penalties for violations of OSHA standards;
- Report possible violations to OSHA enforcement staff if abatement measures
- Guarantee that your workplace will pass an OSHA inspection.
Knowledge of your workplace hazards and ways to eliminate them can only improve your
own operations and the management of your organization. You will get professional advice
and assistance on the correction of workplace hazards and benefits from on-site training
and assistance. The consultant can help you establish or strengthen an employee safety
and health program, making safety and health activities routine considerations rather
than crisis-oriented responses.
- Appraisal of mechanical and environmental hazards and physical work
- Appraisal of the present job safety and health program or the establishment
- Conference with management on findings;
- Written report of recommendations and agreements;
- Training and assistance.
Safety consultants and industrial hygienists
We’ve assigned our field consultants by county. Look for your county to find the consultants assigned to your area.
If you have any questions about the consultation program, contact us at (800) 282-1425.