OhioBWC - Employer - Service:  (Coverage history) - Details

Coverage history review and update

Ohio law requires employers who operate within the state to provide workers' compensation coverage for their employees. Workers' compensation coverage begins on the day and time BWC receives a completed application for coverage, the $120 non-refundable application fee and the first premium installment payment from the employer.

Once we process the application, we issue a Certificate of Premium Payment from the effective date of coverage through the end of the policy year (July 1 to June 30). The employer can access their certificate, installment billing cycle and new employer packet online.
New Employer Kit

We establish an estimated annual premium for that policy year though a set installment schedule you select. You will then true-up (provide up to date exposure for the past policy year). This allows BWC to compare what we estimated to the actual exposure. The comparison could result in either a refund or billing.

State-fund private employers
Payroll true-up reports are due to BWC on or before Aug. 15.

Public employers
Payroll true-up reports for public employer taxing districts are due to BWC on or before Feb. 15.

Lapsed coverage
If we do not receive your installment premium payment by your installment due date, we change the status of your policy from active to lapsed and notify you in writing. Your policy remains lapsed until you make your installment payment. We continue to process claims filed under this lapsed period as usual and pay benefits without interruption or inconvenience to the injured workers. And we charge the medical and indemnity costs for these non-compliance claims directly to you.

Reinstatement of a lapsed account
To reinstate a lapsed account, We must receive all missing installment payments. Also, you can pay any fines assessed for late filing and/or late payment at that time. Once you pay your outstanding installments, we change your coverage status from lapsed to reinstated. And we continue to process claims filed under this lapsed period and bill the costs of these non-compliance claims directly to you.

If your policy remains lapsed at renewal, you'll receive a letter reminding you that your policy is lapsed and to pay any outstanding installments. In addition, you will not have access to a Certificate of Premium Payment for the time of lapsed coverage. We will mail that to you once we receive all missing installments. If you need further clarification, call 1-800-644-6292, and listen to the options.

View coverage status

Request to cancel coverage
An employer can request to cancel coverage online or by completing the Notification of Policy Update (U-117). Consider the following before making your request:

  • If your request to cancel pertains only to the elective coverage for a sole proprietor/partner, individual incorporated as a corporation (with no employees), ordained or associate ministers or officers of a family farm corporation and not the entire policy, you should access Elective coverage;
  • If you will continue to have employees working for you, including casual labor or part-time help, you should not cancel your coverage;
  • If you lease your employees from a professional employer organization (PEO), you should not cancel your coverage. As a client in a PEO agreement, you must maintain active workers' compensation coverage;
  • If the policy name and/or entity type has changed and your company's ownership remains the same, you should not cancel coverage. Complete and submit the U-117;
  • To finalize a request for cancellation, you must true-up online and pay any additional premiums due.

Canceling a lapsed account
If your coverage has lapsed, you will need to bring the account up to date by paying any outstanding installments or other assessments. Canceling your account does not relinquish you from any outstanding balances due. For more information, call 1-800-644-6292, and listen to the options.